Monday, August 18, 2008

London impressions

OK, I still owe a few words about my London experience. I'll keep it short since Daniel described everything in such detail.

The first thing you notice when you arrive to London is how multicultural and multiracial it is. It's like nothing I ever saw before. Just as I stepped out of our train at Victoria station just by turning my head around I could se both black and white people, Japanese, Chines, Arabs, Indians... The city is also just full of tourists from all over so you also hear all sorts of languages around you, not just English.

For the most part we were walking in the center where the streets are full of all sorts of shops, there were a lot of people everywhere, both tourists and locals. It's not hard to find a place to sit down and have something to drink or eat. People seemed pretty nice.

I really liked 'the tube'. It so great! Even if you have to change 3 trains it still takes you just a few minutes to get from one place to the other. The subway maps are posted everywhere so it's easy to find your way around. The only downside is that it's always very hot underground, neither the stations or the trains have any air condition.





One thing that is a bit of a problem, at least for us from Croatia are the prices. London is expensive. For example, if you want to seat somewhere and eat something simple like a sandwich and have some bottled water with that you'll pay at least 5 GBP for that. In Zagreb it's at least half of that. Its pretty much the same with all the prices, it's something like x2 compared to Zagreb (if you're lucky).

All in all, I liked London a lot and would like to go there again sometime if I can. The only thing I didn't like was how expensive it was.

A few shots of the famous landmarks:


The Gherkin:


Saint Paul's Cathedral:


Tower Bridge:


Buckingham Palace:


Houses of Parliament:


No comments: